One of our ME Members, the artist Ellie Ling, will very kindly donate a very generous 20% of every order of her absolutely beautiful Prints & Greetings cards, received from Vegepa Club Members, to our Biomedical Research into ME Fund!
This is just a small sample of Ellie’s stunningly original work:
GICLEE PRINTS: High quality reproductions printed on fine art paper using archival inks
At eight years old, I read “The Secret Garden” by Frances Hodgson Burnett for the first time and was introduced to the delights of the hidden enclosed garden.
At about the same age, I asked for (and was given) my first artist’s-quality watercolour box, which I still use.
The watercolour painter, Eric Ravilious, famously once remarked that oil paint felt to him like toothpaste.
It feels much like that to me too, so a watercolour artist I remain, applying insights I’ve gained from a long love of Indian and Persian painting and the work of European and American painters such as Botticelli, Stanley Spencer, Eric Ravilious and Andrew Wyeth.
I work in a small studio which looks out over our garden. Nesting sparrows in the bird box fixed on the outside wall near my window, sometimes land on my window sill and peer in at me.
I work on one painting at a time, although I may have ideas for the next one, which I try out on lay-out paper. But each painting is a self-contained conversation between myself and paper and pigment. And each painting is anchored in the particular season in which I’m working.
I studied art in Leeds and Hereford (where I graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Illustration) and now concentrate on painting gardens, partly real but also in part, imaginary.
Most of my other paintings are available as cards through my website.
My paintings are also available through my website as Limited Edition Giclee prints.
I exhibit nationally and locally, including the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours and the Royal West Of England Academy Open Exhibitions, and at other venues in Herefordshire, Broadway and Hay-on-Wye.
- Herefordshire Art and Craft Society at the City Art Gallery, Hereford, November 22nd 2014 – January 31st 2015
- h.Art (Herefordshire’s open studios week) at Walker’s Cottage, Clifford, near Hay-on-Wye, with Veronique Avon and Martina Jirankova-Limbrick, September 6th – 14th 2014
- Broadway Arts Festival, Little Buckland Gallery, 30th May to 15th June 2014
- The Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, The Mall Galleries, London, April 2014
- Herefordshire Art and Craft Society at The Courtyard, Hereford, January 17th – March 2nd, 2014
- ‘SPICE” at Little Buckland Gallery, Broadway November 2013
- Gallery On The Usk, Crickhowell July – September 2013
- The Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours, The Mall Galleries, London, April 2013
- Herefordshire Art and Craft Society at the City Art Gallery, Hereford, Jan – Feb 2013
- Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, Autumn Open Exhibition, Oct – Dec 2012
- Broadway Arts Festival ‘The Garden’ Open Competition, Little Buckland Gallery, May – June 2012
- ‘Words For The Eye’ Exhibition by Herefordshire Art and Craft Society at The Courtyard, Hereford, May – June 2012
- The Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours 200th Exhibition, The Mall Galleries, London, March 2012
- Royal West of England Academy, Bristol, Autumn Open Exhibition Oct – Dec 2011
- Greenstage Gallery, Worcester, Nov – Dec 2011 Christmas Exhibition
- Palace Art-fest, Bishop’s Palace, Hereford, Aug – Sept 2011
- H.art 2010 Herefordshire Art and Craft Society at Berrington Hall
- Palace Art-fest, Bishop’s Palace, Hereford, Aug – Sept 2010
- The Courtyard, Hereford, Oct – November 2009 Herefordshire Art and Craft Society
- H.art in the Studio at Shieldbrook Sculpture Garden, near Hereford, Sept 2009
- The Courtyard, Hereford, March – April 2004 Group exhibition by Illustration students from Herefordshire College of Art and Design
- London Artists Book Fair, ICA, London, November 2003
- The Contemporary Artists Book Fair, Dean Clough Galleries, Halifax, 2003
- The Cider Museum, Hereford, Nov – Dec 2003, Group exhibition by Illustration students from Herefordshire College of Art and Design
- Exhibition of Book Arts, June 2003, Hay Festival, Hay-on-Wye
- HCAD Book Arts Exhibition, May 2003, Herefordshire College of Art and Design
Education and Awards
- Highly Commended : Broadway Arts Festival ‘The Garden’ Open Competition, May 2012
- BA (Hons) (First Class) in Illustration at Herefordshire College of Art and Design 2002 – 5
- Prize for Contextual Studies, HCAD 2005
- Second Prize for Sketchbook in HCAD Annual Awards, June 2003
- Third Prize in HCAD Book Arts Competition, April 2003
- Dip AD Foundation Year at Jacob Kramer College of Art, Leeds 1969 – 70.
- Gained place on DipAD at Camberwell College of Art but unable to take it up at that time.